FROM: Danny Da Costa, General Manager
TO: Alberta Tennis Centre Members
We hope you enjoyed your summer on and off the court. Our staff has enjoyed a very busy summer preparing for the indoor season and we look forward to the 2017 – 2018 season.
This memo will provide an update to the membership on some of our activities which have taken place this summer in preparation of the 2017 – 2018 Fall/Winter season:
FORTY LOVE CAFÉ AND BISTRO: We are pleased to announce Visionary Catering as our new food service operator, effective September 5th. Visionary Catering has been in business for nearly 20 years, operating two cafeteria’s downtown, as well as providing catering services for a number of Calgary corporations and events including the Calgary Stampede and the Juno Awards.
Local craft beers (Wildrose & Village Breweries) will be on tap and ROSSO Coffee will be served in the café. A full expresso drink menu will now be available. A new menu (see attached) has been launched offering a variety of delicious and healthy meals. We hope you will make use of our food service for your pre-and-post game needs.
A free kick-off event will be planned sometime in late September or early October. More details will be made available in the near future.
We hope all of our members support the FORTY LOVE CAFÉ & BISTRO. Their hours of operation will be:
Monday – Friday (2:00 pm to 10:00 pm) and Saturday – Sunday (9:00 am – 5:00 pm)
NEW WEBSITE: The ATC will be launching a new website in September. The website will be mobile friendly and features better communication tools for our members and guests. A calendar of events function and a news blog are among the features. In addition to the new website, we are working with Jegysoft to ensure the court booking module is mobile friendly. We hope this will improve the court booking module for our members.
Members and guests will also see more video capacity on the new site including the launch of a special club promotional video shot earlier this summer. We want to thank all of our members who participated in the filming of the video.
MEMBER SURVEY & FEEDBACK: Earlier this summer we launched our first annual member survey. Members have been given an opportunity to provide feedback on a variety of topics. Once the survey closes on August 31, feedback will be collected and changes will be brought forward to the Board of Directors for consideration.
We are always looking for ways to improve the club, if you have any suggestions to better the club feel free to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
I would like to thank all of you who contributed to the member survey. We value your feedback and hope everyone understands that we are always willing to improve the member experience at the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre.
STAFF CHANGES: When you return to the ATC this fall you will see some new faces around the club. Casey Kennedy (Membership & Marketing Manager) & Parker Wilford (Maintenance & Janitorial) have left their respective positions.
Micaela Widmer has been promoted from Member Services Manager to Member Services & Operations Manager. Micaela will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the member service Staff, membership and marketing areas of the Tennis Centre.
The ATC have hired a new part time Member Service Attendant Alex Titov and a new full-time Operations Assistant Sila Huang. Please welcome them when you have a moment.
A new Janitorial and maintenance team have been hired and will provide more extensive janitorial coverage throughout the week. Please welcome Mike & Tess Pineda and their team of Custodians & maintenance personnel.
NEW TENNIS PROFESSIONAL JOINING ATC TEAM: We are pleased to announce the hiring of Youssef Dahri (Club Pro 1) who will be joining the ATC Team beginning September 5th, 2017. Originally from Morocco, Youssef joins us from the Tennis Academy. He also spent time in Ottawa, prior to coming to Calgary. Youssef will divide his time between the adult and junior programs and is available for private, semi-private and group lessons. He can be reached at email@example.com or at Ext. 1609. Welcome Youssef!
CHANGES FOR THE 2017 – 2018 SEASON: We are planning on introducing a number of program changes for the 2017 – 2018 indoor season:
- Monday Night Major’s Doubles League – A new (5.0+) doubles league featuring some of the best players in the city will take place on Monday nights. If you are interested in participating contact our Tennis Director, Charlie Mclean for more information.
- Club Social Program – We will be revamping the club social program beginning this indoor season. A number of tennis and non-tennis social events are planned and all our socials will be open to members.
- Court Cleaning – We have introduced a court cleaning schedule with our new janitorial services provider which will ensure that a minimum of 2 courts are cleaned daily. We are committed to providing our members with the best possible playing experience.
- Member Assessment – Each member is entitled to one FREE 30-minute tennis assessment; please contact the Member Services Desk to book yours today. We will also be making changes to the ACE Assessment process, information will be communicated once its available. Members trying to registers for a class above the 2.0 level will still require an assessment to register for the
- Internal Signage – Throughout the summer, we have been improving our internal communications at the ATC. Members will be seeing more communication tools in a variety of locations throughout the club. We hope the increased communication will result in better service and member engagement.
- Additional Lounge Furniture – The ATC has purchased additional lounge seating which has been placed in the food service area on the second-floor mezzanine.
We will be introducing a number of interesting initiatives and programs to our members in the coming months. Stay tuned!
HANS MACIEJ EVENT: This past June we honored the memory of our Honorary Director Hans Maciej who passed away after a short battle with cancer. Over 350 people attended the event which included free clinics, food and a demo night sponsored by Sporting Life. I want to thank Calgary’s tennis community for their support of the event as we honored Hans’ legacy. Hans was recently inducted into the Alberta Sport Hall of Fame as a builder. Here is a video on the Han’s Maciej Alberta Sport Hall of Fame induction ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcESdoDxofI
We will continue to honour his legacy with the upcoming Wilson Calgary ITF Senior Event by naming the event in Hans’ memory.
MEMBER SOCIAL – SEPTEMBER 9th, 2017: We are hosting our first member social of the indoor 2017-2018 season (DAVIS CUP SOCIAL) on Saturday September 9 from 6-9pm.
The social is only $20.00 per person and includes 2 hours of tennis and appetizers from our new food vendor, Forty Love Café & Bistro. Members can bring a guest if they like for an additional fee. The event Adam Bond & Youssef Dahri. Registration is now open!
Club socials are a great way to make friends and find new players to play with.
If you have any questions please contact Micaela Widmer @ Ext. 1603 or firstname.lastname@example.org
LOCKER SALE: Our Back to School Locker Sale has been extended!!! Save 50% off on all annual locker rentals now until September 30th, 2017.
- Full Size Lockers – Now ONLY $210.00 (per year)
- Half Size Lockers – Now ONLY $150.00 (per year)
If you are interested in renting a locker please contact the Member Services Desk for more information and availability.
PLAYSIGHT: Earlier this year we introduced a world-leading technology at the ATC with the installation of 2 Playsight Technology Smart Courts. The technology which is only available in 500 courts worldwide and only on 7 courts in Canada is FREE for Members. Please take advantage of the technology and all it has to offer. If you are interested in learning more about Playsight contact our Tennis Professionals or visit:
- Our latest and best tennis video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1eNjNvVoGM
- PlayFair overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDx2kZdEAWg
- App tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFdN7Lgg-9U
- Website tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yliYP-skwoM
- Kiosk tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnKGC_IUQfw
FRIENDS OF RON GHITTER TENNIS FOUNDATION: The ATC has filled for charitable status for the Friends of Ron Ghitter Tennis Foundation. Once the foundation receives it charitable status, we will begin supporting initiatives to help disadvantaged youth through tennis. If you are interested in learning more about the Friends of Ron Ghitter Tennis Foundation, please let me know.
CANADIAN WESTERN BANK RENEWS PARTNERSHIP WITH ATC: We are pleased to announce the continuation of our partnership with the Canadian Western Bank School Tennis Program. The Canadian Western Bank has supported the Alberta Tennis Centre since its inception and now our partnership continues for another season. In our first year, The Canadian Western Bank School Tennis Program introduced over 3,500 students to the game of tennis at the ATC and we are hopeful to continue to grow tennis not only at the ATC, but across the city of Calgary.
We will also be working with the Canadian Western Bank on a number of other initiatives throughout the year. More information will be communicated soon.
ATC RECOGNIZED AS ONE OF THE BEST JUNIOR TENNIS PROGRAMS IN CANADA: Tennis Canada recently announced that the ATC achieved a ‘Silver’ designation as part of Tennis Canada’s Tennis Development Centre Program (TDC). The TDC ‘Silver’ designation is the second highest level in Tennis Canada’s TDC program and ensures the ATC is ranked among the best 8 programs in the country. Currently there are only two ‘Silver’ TDCs in Alberta: ATC & Saville Tennis Centre in Edmonton. Tennis Canada’s evaluates programs based on a number of criteria including: program planning, structure, coach certification, player results and events.
I would like to thank all of our tennis staff especially our Tennis Director Charlie Mclean and Tom McLean, Head of High Performance, for this outstanding achievement.
TENNIS CANADA LAUNCHES NATIONAL JUNIOR TRAINING PROGRAM: Tennis Canada will begin the National Junior Training Program (NJTP) this fall under the guidance of Tennis Canada National Coach, Alan Mackin (based out of the ATC). A number of ATC students have been selected to participate in the NJTP program, they include:
- Boys: Emmett Potter, Tyler Waddock, Adrian Jugovic
- Girls: Alexia Jacobs, Emma Rutherford, Hailey Murphy
Coaches selected to work in the NJTP program include: Charlie Mclean (Tennis Director), Tom Mclean (Head of High Performance) and Adam Bond (Performance Coach, Head of Adult Tennis Program).
Congratulations everyone for all your hard work!
CANADA SUMMER GAMES: The ATC was well represented at the Canada Summer Games in Winnipeg this August with three ATC players and one coach participating. Alberta finished in 4th place at the Team Event, but the event was highlighted by ATC member Ashleigh Jacobs capturing a silver medal in Girls Singles Event. ATC members Karin Hamilton & Emma Rutherford took 4th place in the girls doubles. Tom Mclean was named Team Alberta Head Coach at the event.
U OF C TENNIS TEAM CONTINUES PARTNERSHIP WITH ATC: The ATC is pleased to continue its partnership with the University of Calgary Tennis Team for another season. ATC Performance Coach, Suzana Cavalcante will continue to lead the Men’s & Women’s Dinos Tennis Team for another season.
SUMMER ATC JUNIOR RESULTS: Our junior athletes have been making waves this summer at various events around Canada and abroad. Here is a list of their most recent achievements:
- Emmett Potter - U12 Outdoor Champs Provincials Singles Runner Up
- Tyler Waddock - U14 Outdoor Champs Provincials Singles Runner Up
- Emma Rutherford - U14 Outdoor Champs Provincials Singles Champion & U16 Outdoor Champs Provincials Singles Runner Up
- Karin Hamilton - U18 Outdoor Champs Provincials Singles Champion
- Emmett Potter - U12 Outdoor Champs Provincials Doubles Runner Up
- Hailey Murphy - U14 Outdoor Champs Provincials Doubles Champion & U16 Outdoor Champs Provincials Doubles Runner Up
- Karin Hamilton & Emma Rutherford - U16 Outdoor Champs Provincials Doubles Champions
- Alexia Jacobs captured the U12 Roman Cup in Ottawa in Singles
- Emmett Potter - U12 Quebec Junior Open - National Junior Open Series Singles Champion
- Alexia Jacobs - U12 Quebec Junior Open - National Junior Open Series Singles Champion
ATC Players who competed at Nationals
- U12- Alexia Jacobs & Emmett Potter
- U14- Emma Rutherford & Tyler Waddock
- U16- Emma Rutherford & Hailey Murphy
- U18- Karin Hamilton
- Emmett Potter won a Catalan Tennis Federation U12 tennis tournament in Barcelona, Spain
- Waverly Potter won a Catalan Tennis Federation U10 tennis tournament in Barcelona, Spain
- Alexia Jacobs travelled with Tennis Canada U12 National Team to participate in U12 events in Austria. Alexia won a European Tennis Association (ETA) U12 doubles event in Austria.
US COLLEGE BOUND: Two ATC students have accepted US Division 1 College Scholarships beginning this September. Congratulations goes to Sarah Cheverie who will be attending Montana State University and Ashleigh Jacobs who will be attending Gonzaga University. Both girls have been trained by our Tennis Director, Charlie Mclean. Other ATC athletes in US Colleges include Harrison Scott at the University of Texas and Josh Peck at the University of North Carolina.
Birmingham Wheelchair Nationals Championship (October 25 – 29, 2017). The event features the best wheelchair athletes in Canada. Some of the participants will have represented Canada at the Paralympic Games. Come out and support these incredible athletes as they vie for the Canadian title.
Wilson Calgary ITF Senior Event in memory of Hans Maciej (November 9 – 12, 2017). This is an international senior event with players from all over the world competing to improve their ranking on the world tour. The event is open to members and we look forward to supporting our ATC members at the event.
Format: Single Elimination Event
Events: O35, O45, O55, O65, O75 singles and doubles (men & women)
Entry Fee: singles $60.00 / doubles $40.00 per person / both events $90.00
Entry Deadline: October 23, 2017
- Entry includes a tournament souvenir and Friday Night Social
- Players must create an account (IPIN) through the International Tennis Federation website. All players registering for the ITF event must have an IPIN ITF registration. IPIN is required for entry to the event and entry is done through the ITF website. itftennis.com
If you require more information, please contact me directly email@example.com or Ext. 1604
MEMBER REFERRAL PROGRAM & PROMOTIONS: We will be introducing a member referral program as well as introducing new membership promotions over the coming months. Please view our internal communications and newsletters for all the information.
We will be introducing a Membership Passport shortly which will offer members over $200.00 in savings. Stay tuned for more information.
COURT BOOKING PRIVILEGES
· 7-day priority booking
· Online booking privileges
COURT BOOKING TIMES
· Singles bookings in 30, 60 & 90 minute increments
· Doubles bookings in 60, 90 &120 minute increments
COURT BOOKING PASS
Discounted pre-paid court booking passes (reduced court rates)
SUMMER PLAY PASS
Unlimited tennis available for reduced rate (July 1 – August 31)
Included in membership
5-day advanced program registration on programs & clinics
PROGRAM & SERVICE FEES
Reduced pricing on program registrations
Priority booking on private & semi-private lessons
Included in membership
Included in membership
One 30-minute tennis assessment included in membership per year.
Members are invited to socials, club championships & club events
· Club provides Game arrangement as requested
· Members have access to Club Connect in Jegysoft
Ability to create an online payment profile & make credit card payments for programs & services
Member Passport included with over $200 in services
I want to wish everyone a successful 2017 – 2018 season. We look forward to seeing all of you at the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre. We have worked extremely hard this summer to improve many facets of the facility and we trust that these changes will be received positively by the membership.
If you have any questions or feedback, please come and see me, or send me an email.
Danny Da Costa
OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre